Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Retreating Fun

Well I'm home from another fun President's Day weekend retreat at West River Methodist Center.  http://www.bwccampsandretreats.com/WestRiver.html And oh the fun we had! A Safari retreat (dubbed Sew Fari retreat) was the theme this year, and cute animal print fabric was the fabric for retreat blocks.
One of the two Sew fari Theme Fabric blocks I made

Talented quilters creating a quilt for our quilt bingo in October.  Can't wait to see more of this quilt.  I made two retreat blocks, but didn't win.  Oh well, maybe next year.  Retreater's also made iron caddy's, Sock Monkey's, and pin cushions, a retreat mystery, and anything else they wanted  to work on.  It was four day's of sewing, eating, creating, laughing, late into the night's, and early in the mornings.  I didn't get there until Saturday morning since I had a date with my man on Friday night aka, Valentine's Day.  So when I arrived I was way behind, and needed to get right to work.


Sew fari Bingo quilt in the making on the left, and retreat blocks 






My first project was the Iron Caddy.  What a great thing to have!  It has handles, and folds up to carry my iron to classes, retreat's or Go2Sew, and can be used as an ironing surface once at class, retreat or "Go2Sew".  The fabric I used for mine is a piece I fell in love with the minute I saw it several years ago at Joanne's and bought 5 yards of it having no idea what I was going to do with it.  I still have plenty of it left over for maybe other sewing accessories?  

     
                                                                           

Iron Caddy
I think it turned out great!  Next finish was this cute little cuddle kit by My Lazy Daisy.  This is a quilt as you go, but that minkey fabric is a little tricky to work with and sheds quite a bit.  But all in all I love the way it turned out, and I finished this project Sunday morning at 2:00AM!  Sleeping is over rated at retreat.
Grab n Go Baby Throw Order # 90016-C
This is a Solider Quilt for Charlotte's daughter's husband's fellow single solider's returning home from Afganistan in March.  Mary Kay will quilt it, then return it to me for binding.

Solider Quilt Top
I didn't make the pin cushion, or the sock monkey, and really wish I had.  Oh well, the Sewfari was a success, and we are all looking forward to next years retreat.  
Hear no, see no, speak no evil Monkey's
More Monkey's
Ladies and their Monkey's

Happy piecing and retreating,
Sheila





No comments:

Popular Posts